Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s Proposal to Revise Reservation Quotas in Bihar Ignites Heated Debate on Social Inclusivity

Patna, Bihar – In a significant development in the Bihar Assembly, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has made a proposal to revise the existing reservation percentages within the state. Addressing the legislative body, the Chief Minister emphasized the need to increase the reservation quota from the current 50% to a minimum of 65%.

CM Nitish Kumar explained his proposal by highlighting the existing reservation framework, stating, “At present, the upper caste population enjoys a 10% reservation under the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) category. If we raise the reservation percentages for other social categories to 65% and include the existing 10% for EWS, the total reservation becomes 75%. This implies that 25% will remain unreserved, a significant increase from the previous 40%.”

CM Nitish Kumar in assembly

Additionally, recent data from a caste-based economic survey reveals the economic disparities within the state of Bihar. According to the survey, 34% of families in Bihar fall below the poverty line, earning less than ₹6,000 per month. Another 29% of families earn between ₹6,000 and ₹10,000 per month.

The survey also delves into the economic conditions across different caste categories. In the general category, 25.09% of families are classified as poor. In comparison, the figures are higher among other categories with 33.16% of families in the backward class, 33.58% in the extremely backward class, 42.93% among Scheduled Castes, and 42.70% among Scheduled Tribes falling below the poverty line.

The proposal to increase reservation percentages in Bihar is particularly significant in light of these economic statistics. It aligns with the government’s commitment to address the economic disparities that persist across various social groups and provide equitable opportunities for all.

The proposal is now expected to undergo thorough deliberation and debate within the Bihar Legislative Assembly, where lawmakers and political leaders will assess its implications and potential impact on the state’s social and economic landscape.

The outcome of these discussions could shape the future of reservation policies in Bihar and may have far-reaching consequences for marginalized communities seeking greater representation and inclusivity.


  • Editorial Staff

    Mithila Today editorial team is our diverse group of passionate journalists who bring decades of experience to deliver the latest news and insights. Led by our experienced editor-in-chief, we are committed to providing accurate and engaging reporting.

Share Using:

Leave a Comment