Bihar Assembly Clears Reservation Amendment Bill, Increases Quota to 75% Following Chief Minister’s Vision

Bihar Assembly has given its approval to the Reservation Amendment Bill, elevating reservation quotas to an unprecedented 75%, in line with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s visionary proposal for increased social inclusion.

Addressing the legislative body earlier, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar underscored the need to augment the reservation quota from the prevailing 50% to a minimum of 65%.

Chief Minister Nitish Kumar expressed his vision for an inclusive Bihar, stating, “The 50% (reservation) should be increased to at least 65%… The upper caste has 10% already (EWS). So 65 and 10 make 75%. The remaining would be 25%. Earlier, 40% was free, now it would be 25%. The reservation for the backward class and extremely backward class, ST-SC should be done 65% instead of 50%, this is my proposal.”

Adding his voice to the momentous occasion, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejashwi Yadav spoke out, saying, “This is for the first time in the history of India that a total of 75% reservation is given.” He went on to highlight the passage of two crucial bills related to reservation in recruitment and educational institutions on the same day.

“We increased the reservation for Dalits, Tribals, backward classes, and extremely backward classes,” Deputy CM Tejashwi Yadav stated, emphasizing the government’s commitment to addressing historical disparities and ensuring a more equitable society.

However, he also accused the BJP of attempting to suppress this information, stating, “The BJP does not want this information to reach the people.” The Deputy Chief Minister’s remarks underscore the political sensitivity surrounding reservation policies and the differing opinions within the legislative landscape.


  • Editorial Staff

    Mithila Today editorial team is our diverse group of passionate journalists who bring decades of experience to deliver the latest news and insights. Led by our experienced editor-in-chief, we are committed to providing accurate and engaging reporting.

Share Using:

Leave a Comment